Frequently Asked Questions

Licencing Information:

1.What age do I need to be before I obtain my L plates?

To obtain your L plates in NSW, you need to be 16 or older. Then you need to attend an RTA motor registry to take the computer based Driver Knowledge Test (DKT). However before taking the test, you need to study the Road Users Handbook and the Guide for New Drivers. Both of these books can be downloaded from www.rta.nsw.gov.au, where you will also find a list of DKT questions and a practice test.
When you are ready, you can book your test online on www.myRTA.com or call the RTA on 13 22 13

2.How many lessons should I complete before I proceed to the RTA examination?

Each person learns at a different phase. Your driving instructor will assess your driving skills and knowledge, and provide you with a driving program that will achieve your goals. As an indication, a Learner driver could take between 8 and 15 driving lessons before they progress to the examination stage.

3.How do I obtain my P1 licence?

To receive your P1 licence, you need to
  • Be at least 17 years.
  • Have your learner licence for at least 12 months (if you are less than 25 years).
  • Be completed at least 120 hours of driving practice, including 20 hours of night driving (if you are less than 25 years).
  • Pass the practical driving test.
  • Once you pass, you will receive your P1 licence and your Red P plates.
4.How should I prepare before the test day?
  • Check for the right location, date and time of your examination.
  • Check that your vehicle’s tyres, brake lights and indicators are working properly.
  • Make sure your vehicle is clean and presentable.
  • Check that your logbook has been completed correctly. Therefore all logbook hours have been calculated and the 20 task requirements have been signed by your supervising driver(s). The Declaration of Completion must also be signed by your regular supervising driver and yourself.
  • Along with your log book, take your licence.
  • It’s best not to tell anyone that you are about to attempt the examination so that you don’t put pressure on yourself.
5.When can I progress to my P2 licence?

After 12 months on your P1’s you can attempt the Hazard Perception Test (HPT) – a touch screen computer test that measures your ability to deal with potentially dangerous situations, such as a pedestrian crossing the road, road workers, broken down vehicles and other vehicles stopping ahead of you.

Before taking up your test, you need to study the Hazard Perception Handbook. You can buy one at your local motor registry or download it free on www.rta.nsw.gov.au.

To practice the Hazard Perception Test, go to


6.When do I receive my full licence?

After 2 years on your Green Ps, you need to pass a computer based test called the Driver Qualification Test (DQT). To make sure you are prepared, you need to study the Driver Qualification Handbook, available at your local motor registry.

In summary to receive your full Driver's licence, you will need to
  • Pass the Driver Knowledge Test (DKT) to obtain your learner licence.
  • Hold your learner licence at least for 6 months, complete minimum 50 hours of driving practice and record it in your log book.
  • Pass the Driving Ability Road Test (DART) and obtain your Provisional Licence (Red Ps).
  • Have your P1 licence for a minimum of 12 months.
  • Pass the Hazard Perception Test and obtain your Provisional P2 licence(Green Ps).
  • Have your P2 licence for a minimum of 24 months.
  • Pass the Driver Qualification Test (DQT) and obtain your full licence.